Just announced and one to keep on the radar – Squadron 51, a 1950’s Sci-Fi inspired shmup heading to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, Xbox and Steam later this year by Assemble Entertainment and published by WhisperGames.
Drawing inspiration from iconic pop culture including – War of the Worlds, Godzilla, and Dr. Strangelove – Squadron 51 will blend 2D action with stylised 3D environments that are sure to help set this game apart from the rest of the crowd.
A word from the team:
“We’re huge fans of classic sci-fi horror and we jumped at the opportunity to co-publish Squadron 51 with our partner WhisperGames,” said Assemble Entertainment CEO Stefan Marcinek. “Squadron 51 has found a loving home among Assemble Entertainment’s other award-winning titles known for their charming eccentricity. Fans of all genres will appreciate this delightfully original SHMUP.”
- SHMUP Yeah!: Enjoy classic shoot-’em-up gameplay with four unique aircraft that can be customized with special weapons
- Cinematic Experience: Marvelous black-and-white aesthetics, live-action FMV sequences, and dubbed voices will tell the story of the battle between Squadron 51 and Director Zarog’s alien fleet
- 11 Ways to Save the World: Fight against enemy ships and bosses in 11 different environments – snowy mountains, forests, cityscapes, and more
- Rookie Pilots Supported: Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran flying ace, Squadron 51 supports dynamic difficulty that allows every pilot to enjoy the alien extermination
- Ducks Fly Together!: Fighting an alien horde is more fun with a squadmate! A second player can enter a level at any time — earn points with a co-op player and unlock together new special weapons and upgrades
You can help support this project by visiting their Kickstarter page here.
Like our content? Then leave a comment in the sections below or visit our Facebook and Twitter pages to have your say. Why not subscribe to our youtube channel for more great content daily.