As part of the Gamescom 2020 coverage developer Ludomotion showcased a five-minute video from upcoming action-RPG Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy. The video follows a hero on one of the game’s generated quests, which in this instance is to awaken a type of magical statue known as a ‘Flow Elemental’. Commentary from two of Unexplored’s development team, Joris Dormans (game director) and Matthijs Dierckx (composer and audio designer), provides insight into the action as it takes place.
Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy will arrive Q1 2021 on Epic Games Store and Xbox, launching simultaneously on Xbox One and Xbox Series X. An Unexplored 2 beta for PC players will begin on the Epic Games Store in the coming weeks. Anyone wishing to participate can sign-up here.
Tell us more
One quest. Unlimited adventure. Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is a roguelite action-RPG and prodigious sequel to the critically acclaimed indie gem, Unexplored. Leave the Dungeon of Doom behind and venture into a vast, wondrous world as you embark on a heroic quest to destroy the mysterious Staff of Yendor.
Explore beautiful landscapes and discover hidden marvels. Encounter magical creatures and dangerous foes. Make brave choices and put your faith in good fortune. Featuring a unique legacy system, advanced procedural generation technology, and rich, generative storytelling, Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is an adventure like no other.
- Legacy system: the actions of past heroes impact the fortunes of those that follow in their footsteps. Use your legacy wisely to give successive adventurers greater hopes of completing their quest
- Permadeath in a persistent world: when a hero dies, they stay dead. But you can choose to return to the same world with a new adventurer, forearmed with knowledge of what lies ahead. Or, if you prefer, begin a new adventure in a completely uncharted world
- Generative storytelling: there is no premeditated script in Unexplored 2. Every adventurer’s ultimate goal may be the same – to destroy the Staff of Yendor – but every hero will have their own unique story of the events and encounters that happened along the way
- Procedural generation: Ludomotion’s proprietary technology generates content that feels designed by humans, not algorithms, and can create a near infinite number of new lands, new places, new stories, and new challenges to discover
- Orchestral adaptive soundtrack: an intricate system allows Unexplored 2‘s music to be arranged reactively, making subtle changes to the score at appropriate times, whether a moment of high emotion, or to provide foreshadowing
Like our content? Then leave a comment in the section below or visit our Facebook and Twitter pages to have your say. Why not subscribe to our youtube channel for more great content daily.